Wednesday, March 31, 2021

The Comics Vault:Marvel Team Up 79

Words By Uncle Raymond Tyler 
An Undisputed If Under Rated Classic

First of all back in the 1970's/80's comics were more fun. They were written for smart kids and snarky college dorks.


In my opinion the undisputed king of comic book characters in the 1970's was SPIDER MAN.

At that time there were only a handful of comic shops around the nation and the only ones that counted were Heroes World in Jersey, Fat Jacks in Philly and Denver's Mile High.

So even though the market was less saturated than now...Spidey still was able to justify Marvel Tales (reprints), The Amazing Spider Man, Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider Man, Spidey Super Stories (easy to read adventures meant to interest younger kids but I enjoyed some as well) and MARVEL TEAM UP!


Marvel Team Up over the years had highs and lows but for me...the highest highs were courtesy of 3 men. Writer Chris Claremont, Artist John Byrne and inker Terry Austin. These 3 men would go on to make The X-Men the ultimate Marvel Magazine.

However, I super love their run on Marvel Team Up.
Claremont's approach to the book was simply put a joy ride.
When ever I open the pages to a Marvel Team up with these 3 creator's, I know one thing...it is going to be FUN.


Marvel Team 79 is like if the script writers for Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein wrote for Marvel comics. Its a silly story about a silly Wizard who wants to rule the world. Spider Man and Red Sonja are tasked with stopping him.

Marvel Team 79 was their  (Claremont, Byrne, Austin's) last  MTU story and it does not disappoint if you want fun and adventure. If you are a fan boy/girl/other that looks for stuff to complain about? I'm sure you'll find something. But for me?

I totally don't care about how Kulan Gath or Red Sonja get to the 20th Century. I know that Spidey and Sonja are a great team, Spidey's corny jokes mostly land and at the end of the day. The hero wins. And in the pages I enjoy what I put down my 35 cents for.
A wonderful story, art from Byrne and Austin I would have paid 5 times more for. 

Marvel. If you ever do a collected print of Claremont, Byrne and Austin's Marvel Team Up? I am there for all of that.

If I win the lottery I would commission the 3 of them to write 4 more issues in this classic style.

4 issues of stories with one great adventure after another.
Not one long dry , drawn out story. 
Fun.
I love that Claremont would later make Kulan Gath a very serious villain in X Men...but for this project I would want more adventure than blood letting and sadism.

I have written probably more words than appear in Claremont's whole script for Marvel team 79. Here's the scoop.

For action and adventure for the sake of action and adventure?

I recommend Marvel team Up 79 (it should make you want to collect the entire Claremont, Byrne, Austin series.)

  
Please Support Our Live Events and Sponsors







No comments:

Post a Comment

Souls On Canvas

ARTISTS WE WANT TO FEATURE YOU! CALLING WOMEN OF COLOR ARTISTS TO SUBMIT UP TO  4 PICTURES FOR OUR!  PREMIERE BLACK BUTTERFLY AWARD SPONSORE...